Thursday 18 February 2016

Aldi Holly Lane Bramley Apple Pies





75p for a box of six (355g). I am liking the Holly Lane brand - it's the Aldi equivalent of Mr Kipling, which range from 95p (Asda)  to £1.50 (Morrisons). Tesco's own brand is the same price for about the same weight. These are fairly standard British Bramley apple pies. There is no surprise here. They are sweet and juicy and quite fresh tasting. I have liked all the Holly Lane products I have tried so far.

While I was checking the prices, I looked into the nutrition content (not something I regularly do, but I wondered about the sweetness of these Holly Lane products). It turns out they are not healthy. They contain more fat and sugar than either Mr Kipling or Tesco. And that combination of fat and sugar in a processed food is the main cause of obesity in children.

Much as I like these Holly Lane products, having checked out the facts, I can't see myself buying them again.

Update: I don't know where I got the above information from, but on doing the Apple Pie Taste Test, I looked at the information on all the boxes, and discovered that Aldi is fairly average compared to the others.  Aldi apple pies are tasty and excellent value.


Score: 8


Apple Pie Taste Test

No comments:

Post a Comment